This holiday season OnBoard supported our non-profit partner, Turning Point, with donations new socks, undergarments and pajamas. Turning Point serves domestic violence victims and their families in a six-county region of Central Ohio.
According to Turning Point, here are some facts about domestic violence in the United States:
- A woman is battered every 15 seconds in the United States
- 95 percent of all domestic violence is male to female
- Domestic violence occurs among all races, religions and socioeconomic groups
- Domestic violence is the single largest cause of injury to women in the United States
- 35 percent of women who seek treatment in Emergency Rooms are there for symptoms of ongoing abuse
- Child abuse is 15 times more likely to occur in families where domestic violence is present
- 85 percent of juvenile offenders and adult prisoners come from homes where domestic violence occurred
During the holidays, calls to domestic violence hotlines decrease because victims try to keep the peace and put on a good face for family. No matter the season, if someone you know is affected by domestic violence, please encourage them to call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 800-799-SAFE.